Forget about the fact that this cake is dairy, soy, AND gluten free… talk about a decadent chocolate cake! I wish I could take the credit for this recipe, but I actually found the original recipe on the Healthy Indulgences site and tweaked it very slightly. The original version is made without refined sugar, but I didn’t want to use the erythritol that it called for, and had trouble making it work with agave. An added bonus is that this recipe has about half the sugar of chocolate cake recipes that I have used in the past.
I made this for Sweet Girl’s first birthday party, and have made it several times since then because I love it so much! It’s great for both cupcakes and layer cakes.
Dairy, Soy, and Gluten Free Chocolate Cake
1 ½ cups cooked black beans
5 large eggs
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
6 Tbsp coconut oil
½ cup granulated sugar
6 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1. In a small bowl mix the cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda, and set aside.
2. Blend beans, 3 eggs, vanilla, and salt in blender until very smooth.
3. Cream oil and sugar with mixer, and add two remaining eggs. Beat for 1 minute after adding each egg, until light and fluffy.
4. Add the bean mixture and beat until well combined, scraping sides as needed.
5. Stir in dry ingredients until combined. Batter will be pretty liquidy.
6. Pour into well greased or lined pans and bake at 325º per times below:
Mini Cupcakes (makes 36) 17 minutes
Cupcakes (makes 12) 25 minutes
6” round (makes 2 layers) 30 minutes
9” round (makes 1 layer) 35 minutes
Double recipe for 1 12” layer 38 minutes
Note about cupcakes: This batter does not rise much, so I fill the cupcake liners almost all the way to the top.
This cake pairs well with my white icing recipe!