I am LOVING the beautiful spring weather that we have been having! It already has me thinking about summer cookouts and pool parties. Fruit pizza has always been one of my favorite desserts to bring and share for warm weather events for several reasons. Most importantly, it is delicious! It is sweet, without being too rich, and has such a light, fresh flavor. Another reason that I love fruit pizza is how pretty it is. I love foods that are not only tasty, but also have great presentation. I think this dessert is so bright and colorful that it almost doubles as a centerpiece. Finally, it is really easy to make. I usually make the crust a few hours in advance, or even the night before the event. After that it takes just a few minutes to mix up the sauce and add sliced fruit or berries. Delicious, beautiful, and easy – does it get better?
This was actually one of the first foods I was really missing when I eliminated dairy and soy. I hoped that I would be able to find a way to make it, but didn’t put much energy into it. A few months ago my sister introduced me to Daiya brand cream cheese style spread, and I realized that I may be able to have fruit pizza again. I tried it out, and was thrilled. I had my family taste test it, too, and they agreed that it is just as good as the cream cheese version. Enjoy!
2/3 c palm oil shortening
¾ c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
2 c all purpose flour
This is the same recipe that I use for my sugar cookie cut-outs. I follow the recipe exactly, but instead of dividing the dough in half, I keep it in one ball to refrigerate. Then I roll it out into whatever shape I want, about ¼ inch thick. Bake and cool completely before adding sauce and toppings.
Notes and Tips:
- It works best to use a baking pan without a lip so that you can slide it off onto a cutting board. If you plan to serve it in your baking dish, though, it really doesn’t matter what type of dish you use as long as the thickness is right.
- Pre diet-change, I used to use pre-made sugar cookie dough as a short cut. If you have found one that works for you, you could certainly use that or another sugar cookie dough recipe that you like.
3/4 cup Daiya brand plain cream cheese style spread
3 Tbsp Honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Allow Daiya to set at room temperature for about 30 minutes to soften.
2. Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
3. Spread in an even layer over the cooled crust.
You can really use any fruit that you want, but you will want to select something that will not brown quickly. I think that berries work best, but feel free to try different things. Here are my favorites to use:
- Sliced fresh strawberries
- Whole fresh blueberries
- Peeled and sliced fresh kiwi
- Canned mandarin orange slices (drained)
Arrange the fruit over the sauce however you would like. Cut the fruit pizza into slices and arrange on a serving dish. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve.